Saturday, September 5, 2009

The first time

At 11,000 meters above sea, over a carpet of grey and white clouds, in a sky which goes that strange smokey blue after sunset, I saw the moon rise, that too a full moon. I kept staring out of the window as it darkened outside till all I could see was the moon.
I donot remember how many flights I have taken in my life time, but this is the first time I saw a full moon rise while airbourne. I kept thinking if I have ever seen something so beautiful. Well yes, I guess but each in its own way is unique, beyond compare and breathtakingly beautiful.
The first sun rise by the sea, the first sight of imposssibly tall and proud snow clad mountains, the first time I saw the sea turing into molten silver on a clear night, the first time I stood in front of Van Gog's Starry Night or the first time I saw the Taj Mahal, it took my breath away.
So many first times with the overwhelming beauty of what lay before me!
As i sat in the flight I wondered why do we adults say a lot less 'wow's than children? Is it I am 'wow' ed less? Is this the natural law of growing old? Or is it the 'first time' comes very far between now? Or is it that less and less impress us as we grow older? My 5 year old say 'wow' a lot!
Well today was rare, a first and I was impressed. Hope to be able to reach out to this picture in my head and say, thank god I was alive to see this! And to many more firsts!

1 comment:

  1. Is it that we are 'wow'ed less? Hmmm...or maybe we adults don't have the time or frame of mind to notice & appreciate such 'wow's around us.
    -Kanupriya

    ReplyDelete